Saturday, April 27, 2013

Sherlock (TV Series-BBC) Season 1 (2010)


Yes, I know. I'm beginning my movie review blog with a review of a television show. Speak of the elephant and it will no longer exist.

On we go then.

A edgy twist of the Sherlock Holmes series written by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, as the TV credits constantly remind. Probably one of the more fascinating shows I have seen in awhile. The writer's have chalked it full of witty dialogue; surprisingly though, it doesn't interfere with the chemistry of the characters, as the "other Sherlock series" does. The chemistry of the actors is apparent from the start; the pilot episode makes you feel as though all the actors have been working with each other for many seasons.

Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock, is an awkward and lanky fellow. He has brilliantly created Sherlock to be unlikeable yet lovable. If you can imagine the leads from Psych, Lie To Me, Dexter, CSI, Monk, & House blended into one, then add a mint leaf; that's Benedict Cumberbatch as Sherlock.

Martin Freeman as Dr. Watson is probably the only part of the show that confuses me just a little. His energy is perfect opposite Cumberbatch, but his back story seems to contradict his very mellow persona. He teeters on ignorance and stupidity without ever getting there; very much like a lost little puppy dog, which seems to be the point. Its just a tad bit of a jump to accept Dr. Watson this way when he is after all, a doctor and a soldier.

Una Stubbs as Mrs. Hudson, Sherlock and Dr. Watson's landlady. She is a wonderfully kooky woman who creates a solid foundation for the show.

Throughout the episodes, we are taken on a Sherlock fun ride. There are crimes, "obviously," and as they work through them, Sherlock breaks down all of his observations and they are at times literally spelled out for us. His incessant ramblings of a crime scene creates a burst of energy that is quite euphoric.

Another fun aspect of the show is their creativity when using Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock stories and weaving it into the series. The pilot episode is called "A Study in Pink" which is loosely based on Doyle's "A Study in Scarlet." There are many factors from Doyle's Sherlock that overlap into the series. Its as if Sherlock, the television show, is Doyle's version in an alternate universe.

On a practical note, all of the actors have British accents and at times because of their accents and British slang, you can miss some of the dialogue. The solution? The more you watch, the more of the slang you pick up on.

Finally I must add, this show is an hour and a half long per episode. I find that a bit tedious to sit that long for one episode; but for the most part, it doesn't feel that long. There are also only three episodes per season. The show is on the BBC network and produced in the UK, so I'm not sure if this is a usual set up across the pond but I was disappointed when I realized I was done after only three episodes. I wanted more...obviously.

On a scale of 1-10, I would give BBC's Sherlock Season 1...a 9.0

Sherlock-IMDB

1 comment:

  1. Spot on critique!

    I have see the show as well, and agree with many of the things you mentioned.

    Mrs. Hudson is a great character, and your comment about her being a "foundation" made me feel the same way as when SH explains all the details of his reasoning: Ohhhhhh!

    Burst of energy is exactly what it is, which in my opinion is needed for the show. To me, every once in a while I notice how long the episodes are. But that's me...

    I also get stuck on some of the slang they use, and often have to use abductive reasoning to figure what they mean. Fun though, as this is what the show is about.

    I, too, was disappointed about the number of episodes, but it is a nice break from the monotony of American Television.

    I look forward to reading more of your blog.

    ReplyDelete