Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Host ( 2013)


Okay, it's a Stephanie Meyer story. Let me finish! I cringe when I think of Twilight, so I won't blame you if you refuse to watch this one. Had I known prior to watching it that it was a Stephanie Meyer story, I would have passed. Darn you Netflix! However, I'm glad I didn't know. This is not to say that this movie is some marvelous piece, but it was palatable. The Host is definitely better than Twilight. The acting is better, the story is better, and the actors are decently attractive. Beyond mere comparisons to Twilight, The Host is mildly entertaining and has a framework that piques curiosity.

Essentially, earth is caught in an alien invasion. The aliens survive by being transplanted into a host body, not unlike Stargate's Goa'uld. Except these aliens look like Christmas tree ornaments rather than ugly snake-like creatures.

Unfortunately, instead of focusing on the interesting aspects of the alien invasion, this movie gets lost in love; another Stephanie Meyer tweeny bopper love triangle. The details are washed out because of this love triangle. I wish Steven Spielberg would have taken this movie and mangled and twisted it into something spectacular. Sigh...I digress.

The movie moves a little slow. A good one to watch in the background while you're doing something else; cooking, cleaning, exercising, etc.

I reluctantly recommend it.

**A couple of recognizable names, Diane Kruger and William Hurt; both doing a good job.

The Host trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRKjf8b4f2E

No comments:

Post a Comment